|1 Nancy Moore McCURDY1
Birth: 1820 after July 12th or 1821 before July 12, Cumberland Tsp, Gettysburg, Adams, Pa2,3-
Probably In Parentís Cabin Out Emmitsburg Road (Cumberland Township)
Death: 6 Aug 1904, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania13
Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg, Penna
Father: James McCURDY (1785-1822)
Mother: Martha MOOR(E) (ca 1787 -1854)
Notes on Nancy Moore McCurdy:
She was probably born in the cabin her father built out the Emmitsburg Road and in Cumberland Township, and which, according to historians at the Adams County Historical Society, still exists, and is now an antique shop, although I could not find it. This is supposed to be before Marsh Creek and easily viewable to the right going southjust before reaching the Marsh Creek Bridge on old 15 South. The lands of her father were parcelled out in three bundles to his sons, and James, the youngest, inherited the farm lands west of old Route 15. There is a schoolhouse called the McCurdy Schoolhouse out the emmitsburg Road which is a now an abode. This was on the familyís farmlands and likewise is on the west side of Old 15. Her marriage was announced in the local paper.
ěMíCurdy, Nancy of Gettysburg married Swope, John on 27 feb 1845î4
Sources for Nancy Moore McCURDY married John Adam SWOPE:
2. Family Notes from D M Swope-research and interviews. Nancy's son Sam was intimate with his grandchild D M Swope. Notes indicate born year 1818-appears disputed by census in which she would have been born 1820/21.
3. ěCensus listing.î 1850 Gettysburg, Adams Co, Penna shows she is 29, 1870 census she is 49.
4. ěAdams County Sentinel (Centinel) -Spelling varies at Historical Society-mostly Sentinel,î Adams County Newspaper published Gettysburg, Sited by the Adams county historical society in mcCurdy file, 3 march 1845 edition.
5. ěThe Republican Compiler,î Adams County Newspaper, On line, but this entry may also mean viewed ADAMS Co Historical Society by this writer in thier Microfilm library, http://www.rootsweb.com/~paadams/nxpdeath.htm, 3 march 1845 edition.
6. Gilbert Ernest Swope, The Swope Family 1676-1896, T.B. & H.B Cochran, Publishers. 1898. pages 75 & 89.
7. ěCensus listing.î Gettysburg Borough, Adams Co, Penna Enumerated Aug 23.
8. Ibid. 1850 Gettysburg Boro, adams Co., Penna Census with parents.
9. Gilbert Ernest Swope, The Swope Family 1676-1896, T.B. & H.B Cochran, Publishers 1898.
10. Ibid. page 90.
11. Ibid. pgs 90 and 123-124.
12. Ibid. page 123-124.
13. Family Notes from D M Swope-research and interviews. D M was intimate with Nancy's son Sam.
Nancy Moore McCurdy late 19th and